Friday, January 11, 2008

change is good, apparently.

And sometimes, understandably so hard, stressful, intimidating, boring, not all it's cracked up to be, questionable, boring, sad, iffy, ho-hum. Sometimes. But mostly good. Take it from me.

This blog is dedicated to all my friends (you all know who you are) that have made a bold move this new year by making a major change (namely, moving to a new place. Not knowing where you will work, where you'll live, how you will get by, where you'll find that coffee shop with that cup of coffee that tastes "just right", etc and so on). I know it is not easy to make a change. But (and please excuse my Halmark Channel-esque sappy tone here) know that making this bold move is so worth it.

As of late ("as of late" meaning, the past two years of my life, give or take a few calendar pages), I've been consumed with the idea of "being alive". Feeling alive. Doing, acting in a manner that makes you grasp, in all its wonder and peculiarities, life. I think living in Burkina Faso has helped me in this process. It's addictive. Yes folks, I, Joel Turner, am High on Life.

The cynical, sardonic, facetious Joel is cringing at this blog post (as are, I am sure, select blogging compatriots...i've failed you, Dabbler). I can hear my critics already: "How can you write such light, good-hearted sentiments, Joel? We want dirt! Disdain! The grass is always less brown on the other side-ness! You are tilting the blogosphere balance!" True. I tend to gravitate towards the "glass is half-empty because we ran out of water to fill it all the way up" perspective, but sometimes, on occasion, I like to be disgustingly positive. Forgive me. No, indulge.

So. Observation. I like - no - LOVE, to use commas. I am, as they say, a comma fiend. I am confident that my comma usage is legitimate, albeit excessive. I guess it is a product of how I think. I think in commas. For instance, right now. I also think in periods. So. Kind of like this. You know?

Readers of this blog, forgive me. I have fallen into that river of chocolate in Willy Wonka's (circa Gene Wilder, mind you, NOT Johnny Depp (shudder)) chocolate factory. The deep end.

Where was I? Oh yes! Bold moves. Big changes. People that are, to me, inspirational. Thank you guys for making a conscious decision to scare yourselves. To feel alive. You won't (i'm about 90% sure) regret it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to hop on a bus and return to my mud hut just north of the middle of nowhere. Google Earth me sometime. I'll be waving from below.

j

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love ellipses...

jessica.walworth said...

thank you for your support joel
miss you.
jessica.

Dabbler said...

Contrary to popular belief, Joel, I, too, get high on life. (And when life fails me, there's always crack cocaine.) I have written some unapologetically positive prose as well, on occasion, so I judge you not. And, like you, I *adore* the comma.

Joel said...

Dabbler, when have you ever, in your life, been unapologetically (or otherwise) positive? You're the sultan of sorrow. I think I only mean that in the most endearing of terms. I hope your journey to more tropical climates is treating you well. We miss you amid the dust. Huh. Seeing as how this is my comment board, I am wondering if you'll ever read this. Um.

Dabbler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dabbler said...

That's Sultan of Sarcasm, my friend. There's a fine difference, you see. And you bet your snap buttons I'm reading it! I'm self-absorbed enough to check for your reply to my retort to your post. Anyway, at the risk of pushing said self-absorption to a new level, I now direct your attention to the following outbreaks of optimism on my part: Blessed Be the Dabbler (the end of it, that is)and Why the Peace Corps, You Ask?. Yes indeed, I have a soft side after all... so eat it, Turner!

-D

P.S. Welcome back to Africa, man. Missed you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

(ooops. wrong link in original post)
As a member of Friends of Burkina Faso, I'm reaching out to all current PCVs in Burkina right now. We are trying to win "America's Giving Challenge" and we need your help. I'm hoping that you'll have internet access soon and that you'll be willing to upload the widget from the project website onto your blog. Help spread the word so that this project wins an additional $50,000! Merci.