Monday, January 07, 2008

looking at my breath in Fès

Greetings from Morocco!

I haven't much time but I felt compelled to make a mini-entry while here in Morocco. As the title of this entry suggests, I am in the city of Fès (aka Fez), yes home to those cute red hats with tassles that look like Rolos (the chocolate candy) and yes I can see my breath as I type in this very chilly, non-heated cyber café. Fès is an interesting place (note: interesting = understated description of the century). In fact, it is quite spectacular. Intense. Beautiful. Warm (even though it is cold). Vibrant. Confusing. Intricate. Dichotomous. Unique. Smelly (in a very good way. Not in a Burkina Faso way). Across from this cyber café is a Century 21 Medina Properties office, in a building that predates Christ's time on Earth. Interesting fact Number 287: Fès is home to the world's oldest University. All this history makes me feel very small. But in a humbling good way.

We leave for Burkina Faso tomorrow. One 5.5 hour train ride and a 3 hour flight later, I'll be in a more familiar, markedly warmer climate. I am ready for some dust and sand.

That's all for now! I will do everything in my power to post photos upon my return to the Faso. I hope the new year is finding everyone living at least partially up to their respective resolutions. Be strong!

and be well.

j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.