Tuesday, April 17, 2007

heat.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, its that time of year here in Burkina Faso...the much anticipated, hardly celebrated hot season. Though it has come late this year (much to my elation), it is nevertheless here. My digital thermometer has been a particular device of interest among villagers, as we are now able to see how hot it really gets in village (the hottest its gotten, in the shade... 118). Many have said that the best thing to do when it gets so hot is absolutely nothing. I took up this advice, but I have found that it is actually cooler in the Primary School during the hot hours of the day (noon-5) than under my nifty hangar. One reason: AIR FLOW. Yeah, didn't take that into account when I insisted, during the cold season, that my neighbors build an extra brick wall enclosing my mini-courtyard. Essentially I made myself and oversized dutch oven. Great for pineapple upsidedown cakes, bad for a one Joel Turner, heat-exhausted PCV.

So yeah, I am now spending my afternoons either under other, more adequately-ventilated hangars, or at the primary school, working with the CM2 students (equiv of 6th grade, btw). I hold review sessions with them as much as their teacher will allow, where we tackle any of the 13 (more or less) subjects they will be tested on in June to see whether or not they can go on to Junior High. We have fun during the review sessions, playing jeopardy-type games to test their knowledge and otherwise hone their competitive tendancies. But I worry that for the most part that the majority of the students have an overwhelming lack of understanding of the material at hand. Most students memorize the material, so unless you pose a question in a specific manner to which they've been exposed, they will have no idea what you are asking. By no means is this the fault of the students. If anything, it is the less than satisfactory education system as a whole, one that lauds information storage and all but ignores the importance of critical thinking...but I think I've already expressed these qualms, so I will leave it at that.

I am currently in Ouahigouya, my old Pre-Service Training stomping ground, for a grand total of 20 hours, as I had to use the internet/computer for some work-related matters. It is 80 km from my village, a direct route on a horrible road...this is my closest access to internet.

I have to say village is going well, despite the heat. There is a certain comradery that exists between myself and people in village. An unspoken (well, it is oftentimes spoken) recognition that we're in this together. We're enduring 110+ degree temperatures, without electricity, fans, a/c, cold water, etc. As I say in village, "oui, c'est grave, mais qu'est-ce qu'on peut faire?" (Yeah, it sucks, but what can you do?).

Unless something comes up, I plan on being in village until the month of June. So I hope until that time, everyone remains happy, healthy, and loving life, where ever you may be. Rest assured that I will be doing the same.

No comments: