Friday, March 23, 2007

A different kind of "work from home".

Finally, back in the comfort of my own home. My trips to Ouaga, where, incidentally, I have access to the Internet, are generally so action-packed, I seldom have the time to breathe, let alone write a coherent, Blog-worthy entry while I am sitting in front of a strange device known as a PC.

9 PM and it’s a temperate 91 degrees in my home. Who am I kidding? I’m sweating up a storm. I have been in this country for over nine months and I still live like an American. You see, 9 months out of the year, it is generally too hot to do anything inside the house. For most “au village”, the home is a place to put one’s belongings and, in the event the temperature drops below 80, a place to sleep. All household activities take place outside. I addition to the house, most courtyards have what is known as a hangar, essentially a semi-permanent awning made of several 7-foot long logs and a pile of Millet and or Corn Stalks (dried) which are draped on top to create an outdoor shaded area. This is where the men spend much of their day, sipping on tea, talking about life, football, etc…while the women are generally doing laundry, pounding millet into flour, and/or fetching water from the pump.

I, myself, have quite a lovely hangar (see photos). It is extra tall and completely enclosed, for my privacy and avoidance of that pesky star known as the sun. In time, I will be sleeping under this hangar, as the Solar Oven known as my house will soon be impossible to sleep in. In the meantime, my hangar space has become not only a social hotspot for wandering men in search of hot tea and broken-French conversations, but also my very own, fully functioning workspace. On Thursdays and Sundays a handful of attention span challenged 12-year olds come by my house to study. Normally, I snag their workbooks, see what they’ve been studying, then I quiz them orally. After a few weeks, I casually mention to my friend Salam that I want to create a cement chalkboard on the side of my house. Two days later, Salam arrives with a 4’x7’ wooden chalkboard, ready to go. And like that, I have myself an education center.

In fact, I’ve found many ways to do my work from home: Our newly formed Women’s Empowerment Association holds its meetings under my hangar. I will be sure to take plenty of photos to give you all a virtual tour of my pad. While I love the idea of “ doing development from home”, I do try to get out into the community, chatting with friends, telling the old guy selling tomatoes, for only the 500th time, “no, I don’t have a wife” and “NO, you need not give me one”. In many ways, being the only white member of a village of 7,000 makes me a novelty. But at least now, after 6 months in my new home, I am a familiar novelty. I hope this short entry, brought to you by Air Mail and then my kind father finds you all well.

Thanks for reading

J.

(From Letter Dated 6 March 2007)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://vufikylyl.100megsfree5.com/pihylyh.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I begin take up real money.
It's all about how to choose a correct partner who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I started take up real income.
It gets down to select a proper companion who utilizes your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the profit with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]