Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Party This weekend!

Hello friends, family.

My departure to Burkina Faso is quickly approaching. Each day I find myself checking off another task on my to-do list which ensures that I cover all my bases before I fly out of Montrose Regional Airport on the 3rd of June. I think I'm all but ready. I created a relatively modest (for two years) but nevertheless complicated packing list. I have acquired almost everything on my list. The next step is to make sure I can pack it all and remain under my 80 pound weight limit. 80 pounds you muse w/ exclamation? Yes. I am to take w/ me a max of 80 pounds for two years. But it's not like I'm going to be living on the moon or anything like that. There will be stores where I go. There will be places to go where I can buy clothing, soap, and yes, toilet paper. The majority of what I am packing is in fact perishable items that I will consume/use up in the first three months, as I acclimate to the country. Many of the items I have been urged to take w/ me surprised me initially.

Some of the more interesting items I am taking include: A frying pan, 3 times as many sandals as shoes (3 pairs of sandals to one pair of shoes), a low bandwidth radio (whereupon I can pick up radio stations from around the world), my iPod (yes, I won't have electricity where I'm going, but that's why I am also packing the next item on my list), Solio Solar Charger (specifically designed to charge iPods), Business Suit (I have to remind myself that even though I'm going to W. Africa, this will be a "real" job), my favorite brands of seasoning (the food there is rather bland, I have heard).

Surprisingly, for two years, I am only taking 3 t-shirts, 3 pairs of pants, 3 pairs of shorts, three dress shirts.

However, before this trip is to begin, I must have a going away party, right? This Saturday, May 20th, is just that. I'll be sure to post as many pictures on this blog site showing how much fun we all had!

ciao
joel

No comments: