Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Happy 3 Month Anniversary of being in country!

Note: The following are excerpts from a letter from Joel written September 7, 2006.

Sorry, just a little self-lauding. So I’m already beginning to be a familiar face around Djibo. People have actually called me by my name (my Burkinabé name) in the Marché. Sometimes I recognize them, sometimes I don’t. I’ve run into a couple of people from Sananga, believe it or not, who some up to sell stuff at the Djibo Marché. Anyway there is a certain niceness to be recognized as a familiar face.

So there was a scorpion in my house tonight. Not cool. Luckily my ZX/2 Chaco doubles as a Scorpion Killing Device. It was intense, but he/she is dead now. The End.

The rainy season is winding down her. It has rained once in the past week. Sometimes, the clouds will roll in, but no moisture comes. People say this is normal for September, but there is also a hint of worry. There are about 10 days of planting to go. That means after 10 days, there will still be need for rain for the tail end crops. Since Pobé has no Barrage(Reservoir), like Ouahigouya and surrounding villages, they only have the rainy season to depend on for growing crops. These villages with barrages can begin planting “dry crops” in November, crops that require no rain, simply light irrigation (potatoes, green beans, onions, etc.). For Pobé, after the rainy season, there is no real work for the greater population. Some people stay here and wait it out somehow. Granted, I have to experience the dry season, so I have no genuine clue as to the social plight (or lack thereof…).

Interestingly, during the dry season, there seems to be more things to do/acquire. Since everyone is working out in the fields right now, few have time to provide other services (bread-making, tailoring, etc.). During the dry season, there is wide variety of vegetables. Right now, during Pobés marché (every three days) tere are NO vegetables. In November, there should be a lot. It is confusing and even I have no clue what’s going on…

P.P.S: 10:40 PM and its 90 degrees in my house!

No comments: